Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A Win for the New School Year

I'm going to admit... even if this makes me a bad teacher... that baby voice + being disruptive/needing a lot of attention = very very bad combination for Melissa's patience. I had never had to deal with this until two days ago. I have searched deep to find both patience and love for a student who fits this description.

This morning it became clear that some behavior needed to be addressed earlier than later so as not to start bad habits. I was tempted to 'lay down the law', express that some things are 'not acceptable'. I knew as I said a silent prayer and quickly thought through how to handle a conversation with said student, that genuine kindness and love were the only things that would make a difference in this situation. Yet I was still not feeling what I wanted to feel before having a heart to heart with Squirmy.

We went outside, and conversation ensued. Just at the moment when it was needed, the love came. The desire to really help this student thrive and grow and mature came. The words that conveyed that and asked the right questions and helped him come up with solutions to correct disruptive and attention seeking behavior came.

This is still the beginning of the school year, and beginning of the journey. There are difficult, frustrating days ahead no doubt. But today was a win. He was a different kid the rest of the day. He even came to sit by me during our circle at the end of the day.

This morning I walked into my classroom and felt the very familiar feeling of loving everything about being a teacher, and not wanting to be anywhere else than in my classroom, or with any other people than my students (and co-teachers of course). I feel so much love for them collectively and individually. They are INCREDIBLE little people. I love getting to know them. I love eating lunch with them. I love seeing them grow. I love watching them interact. I am extraordinarily excited for this school year. How did I get so lucky?

No comments: