Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dubai

I liked this place a lot more than I expected to. I pictured Las Vegas times ten... and yes there is a lot of opulance and over the top spending and wealth. But maybe the setting of the middle east balances out the materialism for me. I loved seeing the culture (although I know there's not as much middle eastern culture here as other parts), the peacefulness of the people, and I'll admit it was nice to feel clean again and have some U.S. comforts.

The thing I was impressed most by was the branch we attended on Friday (the first day of their weekend and the day they observe the Sabbath). It was made up of families living overseas from the U.S., England, Tonga, and the Philippines. They were really incredible, strong, beautiful families. I decided I could definitely live overseas if I were surrounded by people like this at church.

I was also really impressed by how safe I felt here. There is almost no crime and public places are kept very clean and nice. And there was so much to do. I wish I hadn't been so jet lagged.


It was Ramadan and we had to be careful about not eating or drinking in public. This is right before Iftar (when they break their fast at sunset after the call to prayer). They would gather at mosques and eat together.





One of the first places we went was near the Persian Gulf to cross the river on one of the boats that locals take daily. It was really hot and humid, as you can tell.

1 comment:

Susie said...

I love that sassy picture of you. You look hot...literally and physically. Ha.