Sunday, September 12, 2010

Munnar!


One of my favorite bus rides ever, once I decided that I was just going to trust that speeding down a narrow mountain road on a packed bus was not a likely ending to my life.



Hardcore. Does it make me more hardcore if my backpack weighed twice as much as Curtis's? And I still ran out of clothes...



Laundrey service at our 'room service' hotel which did not have showers. Two days after giving them our dirty clothes we got them back neatly folded in newspaper and smelling like... campfire. With ash stains. It was great, the smells all mixed together for a lovely 'brew'.


We got so used to just saying 'no thank you' to all the people trying to sell us stuff everywhere we went that that was my immediate reaction to this sweet little boy. Then I stopped and realized he was trying to sell me fruit for about a quarter to probably give to his family at the end of the day. I should have bought more.







Paddle boating at one of the stops.


Our first stop sightseeing in Munnar- a little hike up to a waterfall with a beautiful view of the mountains and valleys of Munnar. These guys just wanted to take a picture with us. Did I mention there were A LOT of men in India? All the people we toured with were really friendly... even our guide who we really couldn't communicate with at all.




As soon as we arrived we left our hotel to explore and ended up going for a hike through the tea plantations. I wondered often as we discovered Munnar in the couple days we were there if the locals realize just how beautiful their home is... or if it's just normal for them. Kids would walk along these paths to get home from school. It was just part of the way to get home from work, church, or a neighboring village.



En route to Munnar from Kochi. One of the most beautiful drives I have ever experienced. We saw waterfalls and amazing views as we climbed from sea level into the mountains.

No comments: