Monday, January 4, 2010

The Art of Telling a Story


This will make sense... read on

Realization #1: Good teachers know how to teach. Great teachers know how to entertain.
Realization #2: Entertaining teachers know how to tell stories.
Observation #1: My story telling skills are severely underdeveloped. In fact, I may have a story telling disability.
Observation #2: I am aware of characteristics of a good story teller, but as I have seen no improvement, and possible regression in my ability to tell a story, I am beginning to lose hope of ever becoming a great teacher.

So, before I completely abandon my efforts at becoming a skilled teller of stories, I will try a different approach. Since my inadequacies become painfully obvious while telling a story, I will start with something possibly a little easier... the written form.

An Unexpected Lesson On... Basic Driving Skills , Followed by a Fond BYU Parking Memory (first attempt at doing justice to a comical situation)

I'm waiting at a stoplight, ready to turn left onto Leesburg Pike. Suddenly there is a car on my left... apparently also turning left onto Leesburg Pike. Now anyone who knows me knows that I'm pretty friendly on the road. But the combination of pre-dinner low blood sugar and having only moments prior been cut off, drove me into a bit of road... assertiveness (I hesitate to admit it may have been somewhere near rage).
I start waving my arms, trying to get the driver's attention. He finally looks over and I motion to him that I am turning left. He rolls down his window and motions for me to do the same. Of course he turns out to be a friendly old man and as I tell him I'm turning left he smiles and says 'Oh yes, I am too. You see dear, you will just go into the far lane. When two cars turn left, they just stay in their own lanes'. No sarcasm. Just a friendly old man trying to teach me how to drive. I say thank you and he says 'Have a great day, and Happy New Year!'. We seemlessly and simultaneously both turn left... into our own lanes.

It kind of reminded me of the time I was waiting for a parking spot in the Y lot at BYU (the one right by the RB) and had 5 min. before class started. I literally waited at least 5 minutes while the person found their keys, got settled, adjusted every mirror in the car, and who knows what else. They finally pull out and two girls in a little red convertible (really, no joke) slide in out of nowhere. Feeling a Fried Green Tomatos moment coming on I get out of my car, walk up to the driver and tell her I've been waiting for the spot for over 5 minutes. After standing there looking confused and a little stunned, trying to process my most likely incoherent accusation she points to an empty spot right behind me and asks why I can't just park there. Defeated... no humbled. This is the lesson I keep learning over and over again. At least I'm able to laugh at myself right?

No comments: