Monday, June 13, 2011

Trail Run #2

Not quite as scenic (as Greensborough) but just as fun. Kathleen, Cory, Jacob and I went down to Richmond for a Saturday morning trail run. There is something about a trail race that is in so many ways more satisfying than a normal race. It was a beautiful day, a great run, and somewhat pain free race (just the hip flexers that were a little sore afterwards. Minor detail, Jacob won the entire race. Yes, number one. Five something minute miles... on a trail. No sweat. Ok that's a stretch- it was a pretty humid day. I think it was the no nonsense racing gear that did the trick... and maybe a little talent. Maybe.

After the race we scrubbed off the stinkiness, ate at the famous Mimi's that Cory had been raving about, took naps (well I took a 10 minute nap and had a great talk with Kristina and got some reading in), got some good southern cornbread in a potent butter/poppy seed sauce, went to a cemetery where some big names are buried (Jefferson Davis, Presidents Tyler and Monroe)... it was supposed to be the Arlington Cemetery of the Confederates, window shopped, ate at an amazing (slight exaggeration... just ask Jacob) deli, had froyo at a really really yummy yogurt shop (may have been one of my highlights, as evidenced by my monstrous portion. Who can pass up flavors like NY Cheesecake, PB, Oreo, Cake Batter, Chocolate... yeah I didn't pass up any of them), and watched a really deep and thought provoking movie- Diary of A Wimpy Kid II. We originally decided to watch it because the theatre was so cool but it turned out to be pretty entertaining. Just left me with a fear of someday being the mother of a teenage son who wears black eyeliner and is basically the devil reincarnated.

If it seems like our day was mostly about eating, it was. Thank you Cory for the insiders view of Richmond, and its delectable cuisine.



Pre-race candids


Kind of reminds me of a flower child, bringing in the beauty of the day:) Priceless smile Kathleen.


Number One! I think Jacob's used to this. The 24 pound 'X' trophy may have been a first.


Post-race glory. We smell just about as good as we look.


It looks hardcore. I actually made it through the race in pretty good shape. Then when I went to the 'mist tent' I noticed there was a perfect mistified spot right in the middle where there was a wide open spot. As I approached I realized why it was open, and why suddenly everyone was looking in amusement. Where there is a lot of mist, it just so happens there is usually a lot of mud where there is dirt involved.


I think Jacob said something about putting the trophy on his coffee table. Viewings should be scheduled in advance.


Nap time a la Kathleen and Cory.


Train station clock tower thing.

No comments: