Friday, June 3, 2011

Things that made me smile today

The guy who opens the gym was late and instead of waiting I drove home and went for a 'sunrise along the Potomac and monuments' run. It was amazing. My legs weren't loving it but my soul was:)

Wearing shorts to work. I realized just how laid back my school is when Patrish asked me as I walked out the door if it was a special dress down day.

When there was an odd number of students in one of my classes for a speaking practice and I told one of them I would be their partner and two other students asked if I could be theirs instead. Ok, I know it's not because I'm cool- it's because these are really good students who want the best feedback possible so they do well on the test... but at least I'm approachable enough for them to want to practice with me.

When the following situation occurred in seventh block:
Me: 'Lucas, que vas a hacer hoy?'
Lucas: 'Voy a destinguir con Margarita'
Me: 'Que vas a hacer?'
Lucas (with a big grin): 'Voy a destinguir... con Margarita'
Some boys laughing in the back: 'He's trying to say make out'
Me (trying not to laugh): 'Uh, that's not how you say it'
Lucas: 'Yeah it is. I looked it up.'
Me: 'No actually destinguir means to distinguish'
Then I decided it would probably be against my better judgement to tell him how to say it... although admittedly I was tempted.

One of my students said:'Srta., you should wear glasses more often. You can pull them off.' Any compliment coming from the most fashionable population of middle schoolers is welcome. Seriously, I have never seen better dressed kids in my life. I covet some of their wardrobes, excluding the minis that are less modest than my bathing suit. Seriously.

That my study hall class gets so excited about 'Nice Note Fridays'. I tried to skip it once because I was too busy with other things to get the nice notes ready. That didn't go over well, to my pleasant surprise. I write the name of everyone in the class on a piece of cardstock with a sticker, randomly pass them out, and they write something nice to the person.

That today was 'reading day' during study hall and even though I took up most of the time getting the nice notes ready, I had enought time to read just a couple of verses from the Book of Mormon and even that much changed me- my perspective, the love I felt for my students... and brought the Spirit in the few moments before school was dismissed.

Great day. Lately these days are plentiful. I think I'm realizing how much I'm going to miss my students this year, and teaching here, and DC in general.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

I didn't even hear about this sunrise run! Sounds lovely (although altogether too early)