Sunday, May 8, 2011

Easter





This year's Easter was one of my favorites. I think it started with actually
thinking about the events of Christ's life earlier in the week. On Friday I thought about how Christ's desciples must have encountered one of the greatest trials of their faith on that afternoon after Christ's crucifiction. They knew the promises but they could not see them fulfilled yet. Sunday morning came as a reminder that He does fulfill ALL of His promises. And as repeated throughout the day, the best news we could receive is that He lives. That alone can bring hope to any depth of despair and light to any darkness. It can heal any pain.

These beautiful flowers are from a friend's bridal shower. Sunday morning we tied Easter messages to each rose and Patrish, Jenny, and I delivered the flowers to the residents at the retirement home. What is it about flowers that brings a smile to peoples' faces? We met so many people who were overwhelmingly grateful for such a small gesture. I thought of how all these people have lived full lives and have families and were once independent. And instead of being bitter or frustrated they are choosing to look for the blessings and opportunities in a difficult situation. We went in with the intention of blessing them and walked away with the feeling of being more blessed.

The morning started out with brunch (thank you Jenny for the awesome idea and roommates for making it happen) and an easter egg hunt. Eggs were hidden all over the house (and I actually found two eggs in the tire cavity of my car three weeks after the event... no idea how they stayed there. I must be a REALLY good driver) and filled with candy and some random goodies (remember twisty straws? those things made me so happy when I was little). It was a beautiful day. I was surrounded by some really amazing people who I am lucky enough to be friends with. Church was uplifting and renewing as usual, but the Easter program was especially beautiful. I tried not to think about leaving it all. That is what I am doing lately. Enjoying the moments. One day at a time!

No comments: