Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Silver Lining


This morning,despite Fairfax County Public Schools' permission to stay in bed (and work President's Day instead of this lovely snow covered Wednesday)... my internal clock told me I was done sleeping at 5am. So rather than fight it I got up, got on the bike, and continued my recent favorite read 'Integrative Nutrition'. It's amazing how a good book can make a morning workout go by so quickly.

DCPS employees weren't so fortunate (although they will be enjoying President's Day however they wish while the rest of us FCPS folks try to find a way to pass time with the two or three kids whose families decided not to take a vacation). Since I was up, I decided to take Suz into DC to avoid public transportation in the snow.

As we were driving I suddenly felt so blessed to have had this morning (as nice as sleep is) to exercise, spend time with one of my favorite people, and see the beauty of a snow dusted morning in our nation's capitol. Everything was covered with a fresh layer of white powder. We saw the Memorial Bridge, the Potomac, the Capitol, the Washington Parkway, the National Cathedral... all from a new perspective as everything slowed down and the world just seemed more peaceful.

1 comment:

Susie said...

I am so glad I got to spend the morning with you as well...I wish I had taken more time to take it in rather than be stressed about my lessons for the day. Thank you for taking me! You are the best!