Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Back to School!


Suggestion: Think of something you used to love to do when you were little. Maybe using your bike as your main form of transportation (mainly to get from one friend's house to the next), going to the Farmer's Market with Mom and eating a fresh piece of fruit on the drive home, having a picnic, taking your comforter off your bed and setting up on the couch on a Saturday morning to be part of whatever's going on in the living room, making a drawing or poem or painting for Mom or Dad, going to the beach then staying sandy and salty all day long, whatever it may be that was so fun when you were young. Try to recreate an element of that in your life.

I was recently reminded of how much I love going to school. I have loved studying and learning and taking tests (I know, weird) and everything that comes with it since I was little. My dad says that when he thinks of me he pictures me on my bed with my books spread out all over the place, pen in hand, concentrating on whatever assignment I was working on. That's what I remember about high school. Granted, I could have benefited from a little more social interaction, but I guess I made up for that at BYU.

Three weeks ago I finally began to tackle a goal I have had since before I started undergrad. I remember driving out to Utah to start my first semester at the BYU and telling my parents that I wanted to study abroad, serve a mission, finish undergrad, and go to grad school, but that I wasn't sure how I would have enough time to do all of that before I got married. I have learned just how possible that actually was (timing wise). Here I am, fulfilling the last of the list of goals I made when I was 18 years old. I feel extremely blessed to have had the opportunity to do all of these things and more, even though my greatest goal is to have a family. I am grateful that all of these experiences will help me become a better nurturer and teacher, in whatever capacity that the Lord would have me fulfill that role.

No comments: