Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A New Chapter

While it is exciting to close a chapter, there are still some works in progress from the previous one...

First, the subject about which I usually avoid going into too much detail on my blog. The one I sometimes wish were not still a topic in my life, but which I am grateful is still a topic as long as I am still single... dating. My 20's marked the beginning of my dating life (yes, a bit of a late bloomer), I guess the beginning of meaningful romantic relationships. And I am extremely grateful to have been able to date some of the best men I have known. While much of this aspect of my life, as well as of close single friends' lives, I do not yet understand, I know that God is in control. My greatest comfort recently has been that if I am doing the best I can and staying close to God then the time and place and person will be right someday.

In the meantime I have learned so much through both the happy and the difficult times... the beginnings and the endings. I have learned what is most important, what I am looking for, what to ask for in prayer, to enjoy the moment, to take it one step at a time, how to truly put everything in the Lord's hands (it's one thing to know how, and another to actually do it), what faith looks like, that not knowing the why of how things turn out is often a blessing, that every relationship is a gift, and the one that lasts for forever is a miracle.

I have learned that happiness is found nowhere but within. I have heard that many times, but it has been through both wonderful and difficult experiences in this area that I have learned this.

Second, the project which began in my 20's and which I have only recently made a lot of headway on: having true balance in the areas of exercise and eating. Many of my friends respond to this project with "You don't need to work on that. You exercise everyday and eat healthier than anyone I know." But this project is about being healthy in my head, avoiding excess, making consistently good choices, moderation, avoiding substances which really should never be consumed or put into food products, enjoying food experiences with friends, and putting food in the right place on the priority list.

I still have a very long way to go before reaching my goals, but have made MUCH progress in a short period of time. After years of reading literature on the subject, talking to knowledgeable and experienced friends and professionals, trying new and difficult things, what has enabled me to make the most progress is to let go of my agenda. Honestly, to give it completely to the Lord, and show complete dedication to finding a happy, healthy balance.

And finally, the last ongoing project. Dancing. I kind of let go of dancing during my 20's and just recently got back into it. As I let go of the rigidity of ballet while holding on to the incredible foundation it provided, I found my true love: contemporary. I started watching So You Think You Can Dance clips and got my inspiration mostly from Melanie. It has been a source of healing through some difficult experiences with the above mentioned projects. There are mornings when I wake up so excited to go to the gym, find my unoccupied group exercise room or yoga studio, turn on my music, and dance whatever I am feeling. Some mornings it's more of a ballet feel to a piano hymn, some mornings it's contemporary to The Weepies or Mat Kearney, and some mornings it's hip hop (ok no claims on not looking like an idiot during those songs). Often it is a spiritual experience. I am able to express in a way I couldn't express through any other medium what I am feeling. Some of the songs that have accompanied these experiences:

World Spins Madly On, The Weepies
Learning to Love Again, Mat Kearney
Skin and Bones, David J Roch
Turn to Stone, Ingrid Michelson
Warm Whispers, Missy Higgins
In My Arms, Plumb
Fix You, Coldplay
Saeglopur, Sigur Ros
I Need Thee Every Hour, David Tolk

1 comment:

Jessica Tingey Hansen said...

I've been browsing through your blog, because it is too late to call you back. You are a beautiful soul. While reading through this list of things you have learned/are learning through dating, I thought: you will be well-equipped for marriage because you will use each and every one of those lessons in that next phase of life. Just in different ways than you do now. There is such purpose to your path, Melissa!

I'll try calling you tomorrow!